Monday, June 11, 2012

                 A short but profound conversation with Manny!

Have you ever been in a grumpy mood because you didn't get enough sleep from the night before? Well, that was me this morning for sure, and I'm not usually a grumpy person. I tend to be a happy, positive person with a bubbly personality. But today was a different story. I didn't want to talk to anyone except out of politeness to say "good morning." That's it! And I had so many negative thoughts from being overly tired as well. All I kept thinking was, "I can't wait for this work day to be over so I can go home and take a nap. I just wish this day would end. I don't want to be at work at all. Why do I have to be responsible and go to work when all I wanna do is sleep?" And on and on and on!!

While I was at work wishing the day would end and still being grumpy, I had to use the restroom. As I walked in there, one of my coworkers, Manny was cleaning the bathroom like he does every morning. Now, let me tell you a little bit about Manny. Manny is a very quiet kind of guy who keeps pretty much to himself. He's always very polite and sweet and he'll chit-chat here and there, but still, he keeps to himself, does his work, then leaves.

Manny and I have never had an extensive conversation other than the mild chit-chat we have about the sweet tea that I make lol, until this morning, in the restroom while I was waiting for him to finish up his work in there. I asked him how he was (out of politeness) and he said he was doing good, asked me how I was, and I told him I was tired and wished I could go home. He said, "You know what. I thank God every day that I get to wake up and go to work. I also ask him when I wake up what I can do with another day that I've been given." WOW! That stopped me dead in my tracks. I told him, "That's true, but it's so hard being positive when you're tired and grumpy." He also told me, "You know what. I'm grateful every day that I get to wake up to be tired because there are some people who are laid up in hospital beds, hooked up to life support systems and not able to breathe on their own."

As he said that, my jaw dropped because here was this quiet man saying some of the most profound words I've ever heard! I never knew Manny was such a deeply spiritual person. I also never knew that our brief but profound conversation in the restroom would completely turn my grumpy mood into a positive, grateful one within a matter of 30 seconds. Just like that!!

About 10 minutes later, I saw Manny washing dishes. My spirit prompted me to go and thank him for his profound words. When I did, my eyes welled up with tears because I was truly grateful for his spiritual insight which was exactly what I needed today. And ever since then, (about 6 hours), I've felt more awake, positive, and spiritually aware. Manny's words have changed me and deepened my belief in my spirituality once again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment